State of the Art Programmable Lasers for Educational Institutions
Mirrorcle MEMS mirrors are used worldwide in:
- Most of the LiDAR industry’s self-driving car prototypes using MEMS
- The majority of the biomedical industry’s handhelds imaging devices
- NASA and ARL LiDAR, 3D Metrology/Scanning, and more…
Professors are offered a special Educator’s Kit to help prepare their students for the cutting edge of modern industries.
The kit can also serve as a valuable educational tool for instruction on spring-mass systems, resonance, impulse/step responses, and more.
Gimbal-less design optimized for point-to-point optical beam scanning
Fastest point-to-point dual-axis and single axis MEMS mirrors
Highly repeatable with no detectable degradation over time (>50,000 hr lifetime)
The MEMS Scan Head is an opto-mechanical assembly in a metal clamshell housing, containing a laser module, projection lens, and a MEMS mirror
Interface between user software and Mirrorcle MEMS
Output waveforms in open loop to drive the MEMS mirror and peripherals
Examples of Educational Uses
Core Engineering Concepts
The mirror serves as its own oscilloscope where the inputs in voltages are reflected as visual outputs as the mirror tilts to steer the incident laser beam.
A MEMS mirror can be an excellent tool for exploring filter response and the effects of applying a filter input to a mechanical system.
MirrorcleDraw comes with a number of built-in software filters while the Controller has an onboard hardware filter (6th order Bessel)
This allows for experimentation with:
Demonstrate and study group delay by observing how a filter affects the mirror movement as opposed to the signal input.
MEMS mirrors are an intuitive way of demonstrating and understanding vector graphics.
Explore the concepts of the Keypoints of a vector graphic versus its samples
Explore various forms of interpolation and how they affect the MEMS mirrors movement and tendency for excitation
- Linear, Trapezoidal, etc.
Apply the “Traveling Salesperson Problem”
Input Shaping in Time Domain
- Control of position, first and 2nd derivatives
- Frequency Domain (with filters)
Laser Modulation control (on / off) and alignment to graphics
Have students compete in writing their own interpolation algorithms
Use the MEMS mirror as a tool to visualize resonance!
- Drive the mirror at its resonant frequency and observe as the mirror’s scan angle jumps.
Study the non-linearities of the MEMS mirror system and its effect on the resonance of the mirror
- How does the angle of the mirror affect its resonance?
- How does the Vbias of the drive signal affect the resonance of the mirror?
Find Frequency and quality factor
Study 2nd Order (Spring-mass) Systems
Model systems and compare output to simulated output
E.g. Create a Simulink model of the driver and device and compare input/output simulation vs. real system
For more information,request
Application Note AN002
Input Shaping / Inverse System Filter
“Break speed limits” by preparing waveforms which invert system response and extend utilizable bandwidth
Have step-response competitions!
Pricing and Components
Educator’s Kit – Base
- 1x Scan Module (EaZy 4.0R) (red laser, 3-4.9mW)
- 2x MEMS mirrors A3I12.2-1200AL-TINY20.4-A/W/TP
- 1x USB-SL MZ MEMS Controllers
- Mounting cradle for Scan Module + MEMS Mirror
- Mirrorcle Software Suite – Applications
- MirrorcleDraw and additional Windows demo applications, Educational Versions
- 4 hours of software support
- Educational discount offer is limited to educational institutions
- (Standard rate: $5,557 if purchased as individual items by a non educational organization)
Additional Kit Purchase Benefits
- 12 months waiver of MOQ and MOV for orders of MirrorcleTech products
Educator's Kit - Add-ons
- Ideal for programming Mirrorcle MEMS in user and research-specific applications
- Includes the complete Mirrorcle Software Suite + the Python SDK
- All of the standard applications
- C++ SDK
- Matlab SDK
- LabView SDK
- Python SDK
- Extensive supporting documentation
- Price: $1,400
- Includes the C++ and LabView SDKs with libraries, example applications with documented source code, and access to extensive API documentation
- Price: $999
- Includes the Matlab and Python SDKs with libraries, example applications with documented source code, and access to extensive API documentation
- Price: $999